Paragraph Essay is the most renowned format of essay writing. It stands as the most useful model not only to express your ideas in the form of an essay, but as an easier format to remember and to execute in your writing. Further, Paragraph Essay stands as the most suitable format for the novices, who aspire to polish their composition skills.
Structure of paragraph essay:
A good paragraph is similar to the so-called ‘the Preacher’s Three’. A preacher as a rule, begins preaching by telling What he is going to tell us (Introduction), then what he has decided to tell us (body), and what he has told us (conclusion). A good paragraph has a topic sentence (preferably placed at the beginning), a number of supporting sentences, and a concluding sentences. Each of them has important and different role.
An introduction is the gateway to one’s understanding of the main theme and purpose of the work. Hence, an introduction must include a strong thesis that presents with precise terms the core theme and purpose of the work. An introduction must succeed in aiding the readers comprehend the focus of the essay. An introduction must have the following aspects:
- Hook Line – A quote, proverb or an abrupt question that would provoke the curiosity of the readers
- Thesis Statement – A sentence that would employ precise terms to communicate the central idea of the work
- General Outline – A general reference to the evidences that would be employed to strengthen the thesis
- Topic Statement – A sentence that explains the nature and the source of the evidence
Paragraph Essay includes three strong evidences in support of the nub of the essay. Each evidence finds an elaborate expression in distinct body paragraphs. However, each body paragraph needs to be interlaced that the theme of the essay runs through the work as a single thread. Every body paragraph must include the following aspects;
- Supporting Details – Ample additional information to present the evidence in the most exclusive manner to convince the readers.
- Transition – A sentence that functions as a link between this passage and the one that follows
A conclusion is the final yet important constituent of a Paragraph Essay. The conclusion has the responsibility to anchor the theme and focus of the work deep in the minds of the readers. A conclusion must succeed in offering an emphatic recap of the core theme and purpose of the work.
The conclusion sentence differs according to the subject and the writer. The conclusion may give a moral or a lesson. Therefore conclusion is very important for writing. A good ending is as important as a good beginning.
Guidelines for a good conclusion:
- A conclusion needs to be just a summary of the key ideas, discussed in the work.
- No new idea that was not previously discussed should be introduced in the conclusion.
- A conclusion should not be marred by repetition. It recaps the essence of the work and does not merely repeat ideas.
- The conclusion should have a unity with the other paragraphs.
- There should be a smooth transition between the last paragraph and the conclusion Paragraph.
- It should be very interesting, where the reader is satisfied and accepts the information given in the writing.
- The Conclusion paragraph should not be a summary of the whole passage, repetition of ideas may not hold the attraction of the reader.
- The conclusion should bring out the thesis statement and leave the reader with an interesting thought and persuade him to read further.
- The conclusion sentence must be a complete one that basically ends the essay, do not leave the essay incomplete which would leave an impression to the reader that you were not able to conclude the essay.
- Using the title in the conclusion sentence will add more to the essay.
- Proverbs and quotes can also be used in the conclusion.
- The conclusion sentence must be readers centric, whatever a writer writes, should be accepted by the reader.
- More information should not be added in the conclusion paragraph.
Read the following sample paragraph:
I have four spesific reasons for loving you (1). First of all, you are gentle; you do not like shouting at others(2). In addition, you enjoy the same hobbies as I do, that is reading, listening to rock music, and photography(3). In the third plac, you are intelligent (4). Finally, I completely admire your long, straight, and black hair (5). Now, I am sure that you are the girl whom I have been looking for here and there, for many, many years (6).
1. I have four spesific reasons for loving you.
2. First of all, you are gentle; you do not like shouting at others.
3. In addition, you enjoy the same hobbies as I do, that is reading, listening to rock music, and photography.
4. In the third place, you are intelligent.
5. Finally, I completely admire your long, straight, and black hair.
6. Now, I am sure that you are the girl whom I have been looking for here and there, for many, many years.
Is the paragraph above relevant?